Weight Loss Journey – Pounds vs Inches

Here I am, four weeks into my weight loss journey. In the past four weeks, I have struggled and felt like I was on top of the world. One thing is for sure, this is a full lifestyle change.

I used to make excuses to stop myself from getting off of the couch. There was always tomorrow. I will get more sleep, eat better and then got off my butt to go for a walk…tomorrow. Tomorrow would be better timing.

Well, tomorrow turned into years. Years of abusing myself. Years of eating my feelings. Years of hiding food in my beside table. Years of being embarrassed of being the “fat girl”.

It sounds cliche, but this whole journey has been my tomorrow.

If you would have told me a month ago that I would love running enough to miss it on my rest days, I would have laughed at you. I honestly got up at 5:00 am last week to do my second week of Couch to 5K. Purposefully woke up at 5:00am to work out. It makes me shake my head and I’m the one doing it!

I have learned a couple of things about an early morning run.

• They city hasn’t woken up yet. There is blissful silence. Silence. Nothing.
  • No one is around to see you sweat your lady parts off.
  • With no one around, you can have a spontaneous Justin Timberlake dance party. Let’s just say that I am bringing Sexy Back to the streets of NW Edmonton.
  • It’s not too hot and not too cold. Perfect running temperature
  • It’s best to come home and jump right into the shower. It’s really hard to get off of the couch to shower after you are comfy.
  • It’s a great start to the day.

I understand that I need a day off between my Couch to 5k runs, but I am getting antsy doing nothing. On my off days, I have been walking for at least 30 minutes. Exercising just feels right.

As I know, you have to mix eating right and exercise. You will be happy to know that my fridge is half full of fresh fruit and veggies and I am actually eating them before they go bad. Buying fruits and veggies isn’t just for show anymore :)

With all of this activity and healthy eating, you would think that pounds would be literally dropping off. They’re not. I only lost a pound and a half this week. I am trying so hard and REALLY wanted to pull of a dramatic weight loss. The funny thing is, I am starting to feel different. Stronger and maybe even *gasp* leaner.

Am I focusing on the wrong thing? Should I be focusing on losing inches instead of pounds? What are your thoughts? I would love to hear them.

Neatly rolled tape measure

Is this a better way of gauging health?

Did you like this? Share it:

Tags:

Author:Jen BanksYEG

(the other Jen Banks) is a mom to a 2 year old daughter and a self proclaimed nerd (although she does prefer the term- Geek Chic). When she's not working for an online marketing and SEO firm, you can find her blogging about technology on www.techmommy.ca or on Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook.

Become a member of Mom Nation

Don't miss the next Mom Nation Newsletter!
* indicates required

20 Responses to “Weight Loss Journey – Pounds vs Inches”

1. July 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

1 1/2 lbs is a good weight loss, but definitely listen to your body- if you are feeling better, leaner, smaller etc thats what matters. What I tell my clients, is no one see’s what the scale says, only what you look like- thats inches- and you see what you look like. The scale can be friend and it can be foe- but clothes usually never lie. :-) Sounds like you are making good progress and adjusting to a healthier lifestyle!

• July 5, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Thanks Adam! I REALLY appreciate your support

2. July 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Jen, no one knows the size of your pants but you. No one knows what the scale says but you and your doc. When you are lean and healthy you are confident and that’s sexy. Would you rather be frail? I think not. Keep doing what you are doing, before you know it your clothes will fit really well and then they’ll be baggy and you’ll need new duds. Think of it in inches and your own comfort level, the other stuff is all numbers that don’t properly reflect the new muscles, confidence and lean limbs you’ll have.

• July 5, 2011 at 11:05 am #

I love it!! I have only lost 5 pounds so far but, I am wearing my skinny jeans today. Super Win! Thanks for the comment Joy :)

3. July 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Like I mentioned on Twitter- just for the record, Muscle does not weigh more than fat- however it is more dense- so a pound of fat takes up more space on your body than a pound of muscle- thats why if you lose one pound of fat, but gain one pound of muscle, the scale will say the same thing, but your body will be a different composition- smaller essentially. Hope that clarify’s that saying!

• July 5, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Thanks for the explanation Adam. Makes perfect sense to me. Aiming to be smaller!

4. Alyssa
    July 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

I can’t stress enough that it is important that you eat back most of your exercise calories. Also, I think that both weight and size can be indicators of success. I weigh weekly and measure minthly. I’ve found that i’ve been leaner at a certain weight than I’ve been at other times at the same weight. I hope this helps!

• July 5, 2011 at 11:02 am #

Hey Alyssa! I haven’t eaten all of my exercise calories on occasion. If I have a good, healthy breakfast, lunch and supper, my appetite is lessened. I eat until I’m full and try to snack less. Do you feel the same way?
      I like your idea of weighing in weekly and measuring monthly. Having consistent goals should keep me on track. Thanks for the comment

5. Morgan
    July 4, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

Inches, inches, INCHES! Working out is not only about looking good, but feeling great! Personally, I could care less what the scale says, its all about the way you feel and the confidence that the lifestyle gives you. Keep your inch measurements. The results will amaze you and you won’t have to keep wondering why your clothes are slipping off, it’ll all be in the numbers! Keep it up Jen! Love hearing your story!

• July 5, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Thanks for your comment Morgan! I am going to go home and take my measurements today. Should be interesting going forward.

6. Lindsay
    July 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Definitely inches, and how you feel. Sounds like you feel great! Besides, 1.5-2 lbs a week is sustainable weight loss. Lose weight faster than that and you are more likely to gain it back. Keep it up; sounds like things are going great for you!

• July 5, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Thanks Lindsay! Things are going awesome. Thanks for the comment.

7. July 5, 2011 at 1:13 am #

I like dropping pounds AND inches, but if I had to choose one – inches.

What’s even better? Having energy to do the activities I love, and feeling strong. Those are my favourite workout results.

• July 5, 2011 at 10:57 am #

YES! You are SO right Ang :) Feeling strong and having more energy is fantastic

8. July 5, 2011 at 10:39 am #

A pound and a half in a week is AWESOME!!! It is a huge amount of weight, even if it doesn’t seem like it. You’re doing great, I promise. Weight, inches, how you feel, strength, endurance, and even appetite are all data for you to collect and learn from on this journey. Who you are is most important and you are amazing. :)

• July 5, 2011 at 10:56 am #

Thanks DL :) You are such an inspiration to me. You want to make me achieve more. I really appreciate all of your support.

9. July 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

I’m right there with you. Some weeks it’s inches. Some weeks it’s pounds (or pound). But slowly but surely we’re getting there. One wobbly, sweaty, mosquito swarmed step at a time!

10. Christy Laverty
    July 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

great job… I am impressed. Not sure I could get up at 5 am to go running! I am trying to make lifestyle changes too … drinking water is my big change. I have to remember every day to drink all the water that I should. It is always work. Thanks for sharing you journey with us

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lose 10 pounds by yesterday. : Infinite Fitness | Tips & Tools - July 5, 2011

[...] I quickly clicked over to Jen’s post (which you can do here) and started reading with excitement! Jen’s post was awesome. I felt proud and inspired by [...]

2. Weight Loss Journey- New Goals | Mom Nation - July 12, 2011

[...] last week was quite a learning experience for me. After writing my last post asking if I should be focusing more on losing inches or weight, I took the conversation to Twitter, Facebook and [...]